I was struggling to keep up with my part of the rent and bills in California. I was definitely the high percentage of unemployment and welfare, because Cali economy was knocking down this Single Brown Female to tapout! Yeah, I got a degree, moreso two degrees, but that didn't mean sh**zo! It was a doggy dog world and it happened to be California where I chose to live. Everyone around me was struggling... getting a full time job and steady income was on everybodys Wish List to Santa and their constant prayers every night. I was fortunate to have a nearby Church, family, and great friends to help with paying catch up, but I was never gonna ever catch up... So I humbled myself to return home to the Island of Opportunity, O'ahu, Hawai'i, saying good bye to some of my Luvs&Masterpieces, and writing the Finale to my Cali Season.
Immediately upon my return home, I was offered a position at my Alma Mater, Farrington High School, as a PTT (Part Time Teacher) for the Samoan Language Class, by my sister Evey's Bestie, Denise Ah Sue. No questions and ifs about it... I was finally going to be employed, and even more exciting returning to GOV soil teaching SAMOAN. But what was the cherry on top for me, is working close to my EveyPooh♡ I accepted the position in March 2013... and my GOV Season began...
GOVLOVE was everywhere and the power and energy on GOV soil was shamayzing!!! It was no wonder the energy was intense, because the Power Plant was, Theresa Schubert, Ropati Liua, Denise Ah Sue, Evelyn Utai, Aunty Iva Tiave, Lei Fa'amasino, and FHS Security... the POLYTEAM! They were nonstop serving their school and community... I was definitely needing to step up my game and work! Working with them truly pushed me to giving my best in serving others and building back up my confidence, that I somewhat lost during my Depression Era in Cali. Their prodigies of students and classes to Make a Difference and Make things Happen was an awe moment that I was privileged to witness. They truly kept the GOV SPIRIT alive with their COMMITMENT to GOVLOVE❤
Working beside Denise was a hallmark moment for me with her encouragement and motivation for me to connect to my Samoan culture and identity. Her depth of knowledge sparked my passion to learn more about my culture, therefore giving my all to my students. I will forever be grateful to her in what she has done for me♡
This generation aint no joke... lol... compared to my times... not so long ago They have so much colorful personalities, attitudes, behaviors, and language... yet they all have a heart. No matter what the age, a child just needs to know they're loved♥ I loved each and every one of my students and was excited to teach them, as well as learn from them. We've done so much, with just being in a classroom... and each day was an adventure... Fo Realz!
There were many peaks of teaching at Farrington...
1. FOOTBALL SEASON!!!
2. Supporting student athletes at their games
3. Partnership in bridging with the Life Skills Program teachers (Mr. Dwayne, Ms. Tara, Mr. K, Sanchez) EA's (Yago, Betty, Alj, Rob, Albert, Malu, Darnell, Joe, Shari and Kai), and students (tmtm).
4. Service projects
5. The yearly We Are Samoa Festivals (GOVSWASF)
1. FOOTBALL SEASON!!!
2. Supporting student athletes at their games
3. Partnership in bridging with the Life Skills Program teachers (Mr. Dwayne, Ms. Tara, Mr. K, Sanchez) EA's (Yago, Betty, Alj, Rob, Albert, Malu, Darnell, Joe, Shari and Kai), and students (tmtm).
4. Service projects
5. The yearly We Are Samoa Festivals (GOVSWASF)
SoBlessed to have worked this year with my family members near and far, which has helped us grow closer... especially El who sacrificed his days off to help out with my class, and most of all the talented Performing Arts Teacher and Instructor, Elia Mamea. Its always a privilige to have the greats work with us Uncle Taua, Uncle Poli and the Liua Aiga. Most importantly the most supportive Big Brothers, Makaio, Levale, Kevi, and Uncle Leroy, from the FHS Security. Can't forget the Powerhouse Front Office with Carol greeting me with a motivational smile and thought, and Kevin being the answer to everything! I am truly Blessed with this GOV SEASON.
16 months later... I'm writing my FINALE to this GOV SEASON. Seemed like a short episode, but it truly felt like I was on 5 Seasons filled with amazingness! Forgive me if I did not mention and give credit to some... I am truly grateful to you all. There's always a sequal to a great movie... you just never know what the Lord has planned.
I begin my sequel to my POPE SEASON this month, returning to where I first started my teaching career at Blanche Pope Elementary, teaching (31) 4th graders Full-Time (7:30am-4:00pm)... yikes! I am amongst a great Ohana and Team in Waimanalo and looking forward to another school year and Season of amazingness! Thank you Heavenly Father for placing me where I need to be and surrounding me with people that strengthens me. Let the cameras roll for another great SEASON in the Life of LilyMarleen... ACTION!!!
P.S. So many Seasons... got me needing a Makeover

No comments:
Post a Comment