There's been a flooding on the social network with Ice Water Challenges… it started as a Fundraiser for Cancer Awareness, then it was challenged across the Universe… all the way to me and my siblings here in Hawaii nei.
TBH (to be honest) I had mixed feelings with this Ice Water Challenge… which were many, like…
- All these people doing them aint got no jobs to be spending money and time on these challenges
- When its the whole family doing the Ice Challenge whose giving to charities
- Does Cancer patients, survivors, and families and friends of lost loved ones see this as offensive or supportive
- Do people really donate?
- and is this Ice Water Challenge making a difference?
- When its the whole family doing the Ice Challenge whose giving to charities
- Does Cancer patients, survivors, and families and friends of lost loved ones see this as offensive or supportive
- Do people really donate?
- and is this Ice Water Challenge making a difference?
I was at the point already thinking and planning what to do if I were to be called out for the challenge. My thoughts…
1. Am I going to accept… is it worth it?
2. How much money am I going to spend? Is it enough to spend… what am I gonna sacrifice?
3. How many buckets/coolers? How to do it big?
4. Whats my reaction?
All these thoughts lost sight of the awareness of the challenge! Finally I was called out and I decided I wasn't gonna take part of it. I ain't got the $$$Money!!! 24 hours passed and I still felt bothered by the challenge… As if my conscience was going through peer pressure, or driven to finish the game and win, like any athlete… maybe it was just me feeling I needed to seize the moment of opportunity to make a difference in sharing an awareness, not just about Cancer, but about Life.
Cancer Sucks! I've witnessed the pain it presents to loved ones with its incurable torture and admired many who beat it… and also had my experience with the doctor saying, "I need to run some tests to see if its cancerous…" the wait was unbearable, but my Faith was all in my Father in Heaven for He knows my plans. The results were in… non-cancerous. I went to Him in prayer with a humble heart, thanking Him. That is why I was inspired to take a different path of the Ice Water Challenge from the ice bags and the buckets… We were going on a Family ADVENTURE!!!
I was born and raised in Hawaii almost my whole life, and never was I aware of how much more beauty is surrounding us... thanks to technology and the Internet, we were able to research hikes around our area with waterfalls. Hamama Falls was not too far from our house, and it looked safe with its gravel trails... so we agreed that night that if skies were clear we were going to venture. Sunday arrived with our fortunate selves to arise and enjoy the hike we had planned. We started our journey and venture with a prayer to bless us with safety and enjoyment. Arriving at our destination, we were greeted with friendly neighbors in the area wishing us a fun hike. Definitely Welcoming! We ignored the regulation and state signs and continued with a cautious mind and an invigorating spirit to reach the waterfall. We were amazed and the different plants in the area... but the best part was the "onolicious" trees filled with ripe mountain apples, which we picked to fill our empty stomachs. We immediate arrived to the Ice Pond, half a mile in...
It was tempting just to rest and swim in the cool pond, yet we needed to keep our momentum going to our destination. Up the hill we went, working every muscle and hurting every bone that was dormant. Ouch! We kept inclining for a while and rested here and there, because we were not fit for these kind of ventures... LoL! Nevertheless, the silent encouragement and pressing forward determination kept us going... including hikers going the opposite direction saying, "Your almost there, just 2 more hills..." Next thing you know, irritation was sinking in, because it felt even longer with more that 2 hills... With our brother El leading the way and constantly checking on us, he finally had a big smile on his face at the top of the hill, as he looked down to us e said, "I see the waterfall... just one more hill..." I'm like Really?!?!! LoL... Everytime we are near to the finish line, there has to be one more obstacle... just to keep you out of breath with humility... can I get an Amen! That was definitely the case up that last hill... many deep breaths, then a great big exhale with complete admiration with our Heavenly Father's creations and His great love and strength to see us through. We were set to complete our Ice Waterfall Challenge and finished! We did it BIG alright!
When we called our challengers... it was more so for them to challenge themselves to an outdoor Adventure in honor and memory to the many who have fought, still fighting, survived, and lost their lives with cancer. If they could, they would have want us to enjoy life to the fullest in feeling the warmth of the sun, marinate in it's rays of goodness, swim in the cool waters that gives us life, taste the sweet fruits that surround us, and just have fun! We dedicate our hike to all the cancer fighters, survivors, those who've lost their lives, family and friends and loved ones affected by stupid cancer. Their will be a cure...

No comments:
Post a Comment