There are many legends of the coconut in our Polynesian Islands, but they all connect in sacrifice and compassion. Our people have been provided with this necessity to enable us to have sustenance. Living in a society that much can be purchased, has neglected us from having purpose to do things traditionally. "Work smarter, not harder..." may be true for some things, yet working hard and learning our traditions is a gift that can never be bought from a store.
Our students doubted their strength in learning how to husk a coconut, yet once their efforts were tried, they were "naturals!" I told them its in all of you, if you just learn to use it! Teach our children our traditions and their legacy will never depart from it...
"Most girls like to watch the sunset. Me: I like to sit and watch the pouring rain and lightning." I LOVE all the Master painters designs in the skies and I compare them to my life with each experience and memory being unique! Rain or shine, I LIVE and LEARN!
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
O'a Popo: Husking Coconuts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment