Tuesday, February 25, 2014

CelinDion

Every school year and semester I look forward seeing my Class List of students. First the student count, then the intriguing part, their names. Identifying any familiar or similar last names, maybe I might know their siblings, parents, or maybe in a Samoan class, a relative of mines... lol... This Semester I was reading some first names that got me talking to myself, thinking, "who and why would you want to name your child this?!? I emphasize to my class of high school students that Mr. and Mrs. or Miss arent names... that as their teacher I too, was birn with a name, and for them to use it, as I woulduse theirs.

One particular name was Celindion... I was like, maybe thats her mom's favorite singer... My uncke named his son, Elton, after Elton John... Throughout our Curriculum Units, my students have shared their FA'ASINOMAGA,  Identity, which has helped understand the reasons of being blessed with their names. CelinDion was named after the singer Celine Dion, because her mom's water broke during the time she was watching the famous movie, Titanic. Celine Dion wrote the hit song for that movie, My Heart Will Go On.

I want to showcase Dioni in this Post, because I have seen her meet and exceed Samoan Language Class standards and expectations, academically. She is Tongan, but devotes her all in to learning a 2nd Language. She expresses and shares her work with confidence in memorizing dialogue, essays, and vocabulary. She maybe ditsy at times, and laughs and knows it, yet her heart and soul is ever so present in learning the Samoan Language. It is almost the middle of the Semester and Dioni is achieving a 101.1% in class. Regardless, what language you commit yourself to learn... you need to commit to it, as if its a part of you. Thats truly how I felt when I took Japanese for all years in high school. Thank you Dioni for all that you do and I am so proud of you♡

I recorded Dioni during recess, which caught her off guard, but she's a trooper : )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuFUZgJXJTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment